Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Bite To Eat, Chifley

The girls and I somehow ended up in the 'burbs for breakfast on the weekend. We needed a GPS to get there. Several times we questioned the GPS as to where on earth it was taking us. Ok, slight exaggeration, but it's very rare that I stray far from my Kingston/Manuka or Civic/Braddon bubbles in search of breakfast so this was a novelty trip all in the name of research...

Tucked away in Chifley shops, A Bite To Eat is apparently a Southside institution that I didn't get the memo about till now! Good thing we made a reservation because the place was packed when we got there on Sunday morning. Everything about A Bite To Eat is so retro, eclectic and comfortable from the get go.

 Exposed brick wall, random mirrors, colourful artwork, comfy couches to spread out and read the news papers and a long window seat with lots of natural light coming through makes for a very inviting space

Long communal tables makes it family and large group friendly

How many mismatched lamp shades could one ceiling have? A lot apparently but it suits the whole random eclectic vibe of the restaurant

Colourful floral curtains and a tea cup collection that your nanna would be proud of

The most fabulous collection of retro mismatched chairs I've ever seen under one roof in Canberra!

A perfectly acceptable coffee served in a floral tea cup of course.


As for the food; I'm kicking myself for ordering the wrong thing. The menu at A Bite To Eat is awfully interesting with lots of unusual sounding dishes and I had a moment of analysis paralysis as I couldn't make up my mind on what to order so went for the most simplest sounding dish; tortilla pocket filled with scrambled eggs, mozzarella and bacon. The tortilla was a little too crispy and there wasn't enough scrambled eggs to really fill the pocket. The bacon and the side of sausages I ordered were perfectly delicious. Overall, there was nothing wrong with the dish by any means but it left me feeling a little underwhelmed.


I had major food envy when this dish arrived at our table; hot smoked fish cakes with poached eggs, creamed leek and spinach and a roast garlic, capers, herb and green olive tapenade. The fish cakes were delicious although we all agreed that the ratio of fish to potato wasn't quite balanced as the cakes were quite dense due to too much potato. The tapenade was full of flavour and delicious and the eggs were poached to perfection.

So the verdict: This place is delightfully different as is their menu. Service was notably friendly and the general vibe of the restaurant is casual, cozy and comfortable. I obviously ordered the wrong dish and only have myself to blame but next time I'm in in the mood for a trip to the 'burbs for breakie A Bite To Eat will be at the top of my list!

A Bite To Eat, A Drink As Well on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment